Monday 1 April 2013

A Room Of One's Own


Virginia Woolf once said that every woman should have a room of one's own to write fiction. I've shared a bedroom with my sister whilst growing up and then with my husband Paul and although I've shared quite happily, I'm very excited about having a room of my own. Paul is building me a writing room in the garden and I'm going to blog about its construction and its positioning onto an over-grown and neglected area at the front of the house. I hope to keep some greenery around the room to soften the edges, although it looks pretty bare at the moment thanks to our freezing Easter weather.



Writing spaces are so individual and it's fascinating to read about where writers feel most comfortable. Every month I buy Writing Magazine and Writers' Forum and love to read about writers' work spaces. Martin Baum has his Bournemouth beach hut, Terry Pratchett has an office with four computer screens in front of him and JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter in a cafe down the road from the university where she worked.

A writing space is definitely a luxury and not essential, after all, writers write; it doesn't matter if we're on a bus, in bed, tucked at one corner of the kitchen table or sitting on a park bench. If the ideas are flowing and a story demands to be written, then we reach for a notebook and we're off. But having said that, it would be wonderful to have my own space? A place to concentrate and escape into the make-believe lives and characters I write about. I could hang up my pin board full of facts and character traits, without cluttering up the kitchen. I could have a book-case to store the myriad of writing text books and vast collection of notebooks I've bought but don't want to deface any of them with a single word! I could also find a home for all these 'writerly' niks-naks I've accumulated and want to find a home for.





Here are the first photographs of my writing room under construction. The shell is up, the roof timbers have begun to be lifted in to place and the first-fix electrics have been put in. Thankfully it's fully insulated so I can write and read in it all year round. I thinks it's the best present ever!







Please keep popping back to check on progress as I up-date my blog.

4 comments:

  1. How exciting, Ange! I quite agree that although we can write anywhere (and I often do), it's wonderful to have your own space. Look forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Ange, that looks ace! And I like the trinkets you've already got ready! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rosemary. The only place where I find it difficult to work is in a cafe. I'm far too busy people-watching and being nosey listening to nearby conversations! Still - it's all gathering material for future characters!! Lovely to hear from you. xx

    Hi Sara. Thanks for popping by. I'm drawn to all things 'booky' as you can see. I'm so excited about the room I could squeal! xx

    ReplyDelete